Thursday, March 12, 2020

No School on Friday March 13

There is no school on Friday, March 13.  Please see below for the text of a letter today from the Superintendent.

Good Afternoon Beverly Parents and Families,

This is Dr. Sue Charochak calling with an important message for you. While at this time we are unaware of any confirmed COVID-19 cases in Beverly, out of an abundance of caution, the school district will be closed tomorrow, Friday, March 13, 2020. Staff and students should remain home and we will use the day tomorrow to allow for continued deep cleaning of our buildings as well as provide time for our leadership team to create a contingency plan in the event of an extended closure. Offices will remain open and all full year staff will report as scheduled. If you are receiving this call and do not receive an associated email, please reach out to Maddy August, to ensure that we have your accurate email on file in Aspen to allow you to remain up to date on any future decisions regarding school closure. Any additional changes to our schedule or school calendar will be communicated directly by me through a follow up ConnectEd announcement. Thank you for your patience as we navigate this rapidly evolving situation.

The use of this day will allow our District Leadership Team to participate in a state-wide conference call with the Commissioner of Education and the Department of Public Health. We anticipate receiving additional long-term guidance regarding a broader school-based COVID-19 response plan. At this time, we await the guidance from the Commissioner regarding the need for any further impact to the school schedule. I do want to inform you that we have decided to postpone/cancel the following activities for the remainder of the year:
  • All International Travel
  • All Out-of-State Travel
  • All overnight field trips
Additionally, we are postponing/canceling the following events through April Vacation. At that point, we will send further notification.
  • Day field trips
  • Events at night involving all non-student groups (including parents, families and community members) to our schools
  • Use of buildings by community groups
We will continue to partner with the Y after school program and they will remain in place up to the point of a decision to close our schools. We will continue to monitor events and adjust our plans accordingly. 

I want to remind parents and families that in the event of a decision to close any of our schools, parents will hear directly from myself or their building principal. Again, I thank you for your patience as we navigate this rapidly evolving situation.

Sue Charochak, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools

Click here for Coronavirus updates